Thursday, December 9, 2010

How to Make Waldorf Doll Dresses

Looking for an easy and inexpensive way to clothe your Waldorf doll? I dug through a sack of old baby clothes and found some dresses with cute hemlines that I upcycled into doll dresses. Very simple, cheap, and took very minimal time since the bottom edges were already finished.

I used this tutorial from Inditutes to give me an idea of pattern shape. The sizing was a bit tricky however. The first dress was a bit tight on the doll, so I increased the pattern size by about a 1/2 inch all the way around and the second dress was much better fitting and easier to get on the doll.

Materials: old children's clothes or light-weight fabric, 1/4" elastic

Measure your doll, and using the tutorial, create a simple block shape pattern. Be sure that your arm and neck holes will be sufficient to allow the doll to be easily clothed by a child.

Position your fabric or old clothes so that the hemline will be utilized (and you won't have to add a hem on either the sleeves or the dress) by placing the bottom edge of both pattern pieces along the hemline.

Following the tutorial, stitch it all together using 1/4" seams, make the neckline casing for the elastic, and voila! A quick and easy dolly dress.

I made some little matching panties using a simple rectangle of matching fabric. If you have anymore hemline available, cut the rectangle along the hemline so you'll only have to finish one edge. Fold the rectangle in half and stitch. Add an elastic casing at the top for 1/4" elastic. In the center of the rectangle, tack the bottom to create 2 leg openings. They are more of a boxer-short shape than panties, but are very simple and quick.

Monday, December 6, 2010

Waldorf Doll Making Part 4

Ta da! Here is the final doll (minus clothing... that is yet to be assembled).

Waldorf Doll Making Part 3

Time for the last leg of my Waldorf Doll adventure (finally!!) - looks like Julia will have her Christmas dolly after all! (See Part 1 and Part 2)

I finished closing all the seams around the neck and arms. Next was to shape the leg seams - thighs and ankles.

I chose a lavender blue embroidery floss for the eyes. It took me a bit to get them right - I started with them smaller, then went back and made them larger. This photo is a bit creepy I think with the pins marking the mouth!

Ah, much better. A few passes with the embroidery thread for the mouth, and now it really looks like a doll!

A bit of pink for the cheeks.

This is the first layer of yarn for the hair - I can't wait to get it all on - 2 more layers and then I'll be ready to make her some dresses.